Hearing aids are built to provide many years of useful service.
However, regular exposure to a harsh environment means they will occasionally encounter problems.
No matter how fastidious you are when it comes to hygiene, the ear canals inevitably attract dirt, moisture and earwax buildup – all of which can wreak havoc with the electronic components in your hearing aids.
Regular maintenance can help keep them in great working condition, but once in a while, they may need servicing or repair. Houston Hearing Center can help.
If you have tried the troubleshooting tips below and still can’t get your hearing aids to work properly, please contact us to schedule an evaluation.
Troubleshooting Your Hearing Aids
If your hearing aids aren’t working properly, try the following techniques for a quick fix.
- If there is no sound:
- Make sure the battery is inserted correctly.
- Replace the battery if you suspect it is dead or weak.
- Remove excess earwax from earmold or replace wax guard.
- Clean the earmold or tubing with wax removal tools; replace wax guard.
- Check tubing for wax buildup or moisture; clean with blower tool (open fit instruments only).
- The battery may be dead or weak; replace it
- If you are experiencing feedback or whistling:
- Remove and reinsert your hearing aids.
- Turn down the volume.
- Make sure there is nothing blocking or covering your hearing aids.
- Have your doctor check your ears for excess wax and remove if necessary.
What Can I Expect to Pay for a Hearing Aid Repair?
The cost of having your hearing aids repaired depends on a number of factors. We must determine the following:
- Whether your hearing aids are under warranty (basic or extended).
- The extent of damage.
- The price of replacement parts.
- Labor charges.
If your hearing aids are still under warranty and were purchased from Houston Hearing Center, repair costs will be nominal or free.
If the warranty has expired, we’ll need to assess the level of damage before providing you with an estimate.
Depending on the cost of repairs, you might be better off investing in a new pair of hearing aids.
If your current aids are more than five years old, consider an upgrade – technological advances mean today’s digital devices are more powerful and come packed with features for improved sound quality compared with those that are a few years older.
The expert staff at Houston Hearing Center is happy to evaluate your hearing aids and help you decide whether having them repaired makes the most financial sense.
We service most makes and models and are here to provide you with assistance.
Call Houston Hearing Center at 281-649-7215 for more information or to schedule an appointment.